India is a very diverse as well as the 7th biggest country in terms of area. India’s total geographical area is spread over 3,287,263 km².
Knowing the area of a country is useful for several reasons. It can help you better understand the size of the country and its population density, as well as make it easier to make comparisons with other countries.
This article will list all Indian states and union territories by their size, including their areas in square kilometers, and population density in p/km².
List of Indian States By Area
|Rank||State||Area (km²)||Population Density (p/km²)|
- Rajasthan is the largest Indian state by area with a total surface area of 3,42,239 km².
- Goa is the smallest state in India with a total surface area of 3,702 km².
- Bihar is the most densely populated state in India with a population density of 1349 p/km².
- Arunachal Pradesh is the least densely populated state in India with a population density of 19 p/km².
List of Union Territories of India By Area
|Rank||Union Territory||Area (km²)||Population Density (p/km²)|
|2||Jammu & Kashmir||42,241||327|
|3||Andaman & Nicobar||8,249||51|
|4||National Capital Territory of Delhi||1,484||12803|
|5||Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu||603||1028|
Important Points About Indian Union Territories
- A union territory is an administrative division ruled by the central government of India.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Chandigarh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh, Lakshadweep, and Puducherry are among the eight union territories of India.
- Ladakh is the biggest union territory of India, even bigger than a few states with a total surface area of 96,701 km² while it is also the least densely populated union territory in India with a population density of 3 p/km².
- Lakshadweep is the smallest union territory of India with an area of 32 km².
- The National Capital Territory of Delhi is the most densely populated Union territory of India with a population density of 12803 p/km².